Sunshine yellow, sweet and zesty, these Lemon and Chia Seed Cupcakes make a perfect pairing with a cup of tea. They are soft and moist, bursting with lemon flavour and topped with a vegan friendly Lemon Buttercream Icing.
Recipe by Edgie Eats | @edgie__eats on Instagram
- 220g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250ml soya milk
- 80ml Fussels Lemon Rapeseed Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
For the icing
- 200g vegan butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180* and line a 12-cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl then add the sugar and baking powder.
- Add the soya milk, Fussels oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, chia seeds and stir until no lumps remain.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12-cupcakes liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the cakes cool, whip the butter in a bowl with a handheld mixer for 5 minutes until the butter is a light-yellow colour.
- Whisk in the icing sugar and lemon juice to form a smooth buttercream.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cakes as desired.
- Top with extra chia seeds and edible glitter.