Recipe by The Devilled Egg | Online Cookery School.
- 2-2.5 kg turkey crown
- Garlic oil
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slices of pancetta
- 3 large white onions, cut into eights
- Large glass of white wine
- For the stuffing:
- 4 tablespoons of garlic oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage, finely sliced
- 50g grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper, ground
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- Meat from 6 pork sausages
Preheat the oven to 190C.
To make the stuffing:
- Heat the garlic oil in a pan and fry the onion with the salt until golden, leave to cool.
- Combine with the other stuffing ingredients.
- Set aside.
Rub the turkey crown with more garlic oil and sprinkle with lots of salt and pepper.
Put the stuffing into the cavity.
Lay the pancetta over the top of the crown, overlapping to tightly cover the bird.
Secure with a string in 2-3 places to keep the pancetta in place.
Lay the onions at the bottom of a baking tray and place the crown on top.
Pour in the wine.
Cover the turkey loosely with foil and place in the oven (see below for timing).
30 minutes before the turkey is done, turn the temperature up to 220C and remove the foil.
Once the turkey and stuffing are cooked, leave it to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving (an hour would be better).
To cook the turkey - allow 20 minutes per kg plus an extra hour for the stuffing to cook. The turkey and filling meat should read 75C on a meat thermometer.