For the Trout:
- 4 trout, gutted (Preferably from Mere Farm)
- Sea salt
- Slices of lemon
For the oil:
- 800ml of Fussels Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3 star aniseed
- 5 white peppercorns
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
For the Apple Salsa:
- 4 apples, decored, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small, red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp shredded mint
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 generous pinches of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of Fussels Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil
- Crème fraiche, sour cream or Fussels Quince and Cider Vinegar Dressing Salad leaves
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and toss them together until well distributed. Cover and leave at room temperature for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavours to mingle.
Place the rapeseed oil, vanilla pod, cardamom pods, white peppercorns, chopped garlic and star anise in a pan. Bring the oil to a steady simmer for 5 minutes then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool and infuse the flavours of the aromatics. Once cool, drain the aromatics.
Place each fish on a rectangle of cooking foil, then using a pastry brush, generously coat the outside and inside of the fish with the oil, then fill with the lemon slices and the fresh thyme. Add some of the remaining oil to the parcel ( and if you fancy it a slurp of white wine) and carefully fold so as to make it as secure as possible. Then add an extra layer of foil.
Place the parcels on a hot BBQ and cook for about 7-10 mins per side.
Serve with the salsa and some salad leaves, and either a dollop of crème fraiche or some Fussels Quince and Cider Vinegar Dressing.