Recipe by Francesca Moran, Head Chef/Proprietor, Moran's Restaurant & Bar, Westward Ho!, Devon
- 600g mixed vegetables of your choice, chopped
- 100g cornflour
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 250ml soda water
- 280g organic silken tofu
- 125ml of Fussels Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil
- Rapeseed Oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cloudy cider vinegar
- Rock salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 fresh chillies, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of sriracha sauce
- Rocket salad leaves (to serve)
To make the mayonnaise
- Put the tofu, rapeseed oil, lime juice, cloudy cider vinegar, sriracha sauce and mustard in a bowl. Season with rock salt and pepper, and blend until smooth.
- Grind the chillies and garlic into a paste in a pestle and mortar.
- Add some paste to the mayonnaise, depending on the desired spice level.
To make the tempura batter
- Mix 100g of plain flour with all the cornflour and turmeric in a bowl, and then season. Add the soda water and whisk until all the flour has dissolved.
- Using the remaining 50g of flour, coat the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables into the batter, ensuring they're completely covered, then carefully fry them in a deep-fat fryer, or pan of oil, at 180 degrees for approximately two to three minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rocket with the mayonnaise.