A really tasty slow cooked dish with fragrant flavours. Once it’s in the pot you can virtually forget about it!
- 3tbspn Fussels Rapeseed Oil
- 750g pork, cut into chunks
- 2 aubergines cut into chunks
- 2tbspn dark muscovado sugar
- 5 star anise
- 1 cinammon stick
- 2 onions, chopped
- Large knob of root ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander – chop stalks finely and keep leaves separate
- 2tbspn Thai fish sauce
- Juice 1 lime
Heat half the Fussels oil in ovenproof pan and brown the meat – you may need to do it in batches. Remove from pan, then add a bit more oil if necessary and brown the aubergine. Remove from pan, then tip in sugar so it caramelises slightly, then add the pork and aubergine back into the pan, plus the star anise and the cinnamon. Add the onions, ginger and chilli and cook through for a few minutes. Add the coriander stalks and fish sauce and pour in water to come about half way up the pan.
Cook in an oven at 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6 for at least 1 and 1/2 hours – you may need to add a bit more water if it looks like it is drying out. Cook so that the meat is very tender and the aubergines have really softened.
Stir through the coriander leaves and the lime juice just before serving.