- 8 pumps Fussels rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, halved, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red chillies, de seeded & finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomato paste
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes in rich tomato juice
- 200mls (1/3 pint) tomato passata
- Approx. 300mls (1/2 pint) water
- 1 x 400g black eye beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 tablespoons low fat yoghurt or crème fraiche
- 1 large ripe avocado, stoned, peeled & sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pan, heat the rapeseed oil. Add the onion and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with a tight fitting lid and gently steam fry for 5/6 minutes until softened. Add the pepper, garlic, chillies and ground coriander and fry for a further 3 minutes. Add the sun dried tomato paste.
Stir in the canned tomatoes, passata and water. Season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, adding extra water if the soup becomes too thick. Stir in the black eye beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
To serve, stir in half the coriander and ladle the soup into large warmed soup bowls. Swirl each soup with a little yoghurt and top with the avocado and remaining coriander. Serve with crusty bread.