Easy salmon fishcakes with a twist
- 450g floury potatoes
- 350g fresh salmon
- 2tsp tomato puree or ketchup
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Finely grated zest of half a lemon, plus wedges to serve
- I generous tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 generous tbsp chopped dill / tarragon
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 110g panko bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp fussels extra virgin rapeseed oil
- A bit of butter
- salt and ground black pepper for seasoning.
1. Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces and add to a pan of boiling water. Cook for up to 15 minutes until tender. Drain thoroughly, then mash with a knob of butter. A potato ricer is an excellent way of producing great mash.
2. Grill the salmon (skin up) for 5mins +, until cooked through. Leave to cool then remove the skin and flake.
3. Mix the potato, salmon, tomato puree, mustard, zest, herbs and season. Make sure that the ingredients are evenly spread.
4. Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes.
5. Using your hands, or a cooking ring,form the ingredients into evenly sized cakes.
6. Dip the cakes in the flour and dust off the excess, then dip in the egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
7. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry over a medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes each side, but turn to avoid burning. Cook until golden brown.
Serve with a fresh salad, lemon wedges and either Fussels Classic or Fussels Mint mayo.