- 2-2.5 kg turkey crown
- Garlic oil
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slices of pancetta
- 3 large white onions, cut into eights
- Large glass of white wine
- For the stuffing:
- 4 tablespoons of garlic oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage, finely sliced
- 50g grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper, ground
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- Meat from 6 pork sausages
Preheat the oven to 190C.
To make the stuffing:
- Heat the garlic oil in a pan and fry the onion with the salt until golden, leave to cool.
- Combine with the other stuffing ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Rub the turkey crown with more garlic oil and sprinkle with lots of salt and pepper.
- Put the stuffing into the cavity.
- Lay the pancetta over the top of the crown, overlapping to tightly cover the bird.
- Secure with a string in 2-3 places to keep the pancetta in place.
- Lay the onions at the bottom of a baking tray and place the crown on top.
- Pour in the wine.
- Cover the turkey loosely with foil and place in the oven (see below for timing).
- 30 minutes before the turkey is done, turn the temperature up to 220C and remove the foil.
- Once the turkey and stuffing are cooked, leave it to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving (an hour would be better).
To cook the turkey - allow 20 minutes per kg plus an extra hour for the stuffing to cook. The turkey and filling meat should read 75C on a meat thermometer.
Check out some of our suggested side dishes to go with the Turkey Crown.